The house didn’t come with a mailbox, so I went on a quest to find a glorious old one that would fit the aesthetic of the house.
Total fail – I found one, but definitely cannot justify spending $700 on an antique Victorian mailbox, no matter how cool it is.
I also found a pretty cool old one for $20 at a nice vintage/antique store in Gettysburg, PA, but it opened from the side and doesn’t really work as a road-side mailbox.
Failed again; I gave up and started over.
Since little kid Aly always wanted a fun mailbox, I changed gears and started shopping on etsy instead of ebay.
I loved a lot of the options, but an annoying personal quirk sprung into dominance in my brain, and I couldn’t bring myself to spend that much money* when I could totally make it myself for way less.**
So Wes, Oberon, and I started the mailbox building process.
I googled plans (plans are a loose term, I used it as a rough visual guide at best), bought lumber, and picked up some outdoor paint. We painted all the pieces, put them together (a bit), and pressed pause for several weeks til we went up to the house next.
I actually remembered to buy a handle and hinges, but forgot to bring the paint up to the house so we had to buy more (so much for saving money). I also maybe measured things wrong (or should have read any of the instructions) so some additional cuts (and undoing of cuts) were needed. Eventually, the stupid thing was ready for waterproofing.
With the mailbox nearly ready, and Sergiu slogging away in the attic (in 90 degree weather), Wes and I used our new sledge hammer to pound the post stakes*** into ground… and then had to use our giant muscles to straighten them enough to put the pieces together to make the posts. Sergiu helped after the hard parts were done.
With all the pieces assembled, we finally (3 days + ~3 weeks later) finished**** the mailbox. And it is awesome.
*Most of the decent ones I found ranged between $125 and $350
**This is debatable – I’m guessing somewhere around $75 – $100 for all the parts and supplies
***I bought these after attempting to dig holes in the crazy compact/rocky dirt. Stakes it is!
****It’s not actually finished, I still have to decide what I want to use (and how to do it) to make the chimney (flag)